Growing a Second Flush of Mushrooms
Did you know that your mushroom grow kit can grow more than one flush of mushrooms? By flush, we mean batch or round of mushrooms. Yes, that means you really can get more bang for your buck! Here's how to grow more than one flush of mushrooms from your grow kit.
One thing to remember, most grow blocks won't grow as many mushrooms a second or third time around. Each flush you attempt will result in fewer mushrooms.
Shiitake Mushroom Grow Kits:
- Second flushes on shiitake blocks require outdoor fresh air.
- If your first flush is during the winter, then place your block in a garage or somewhere cool and dry. Allow the block to dry out while you wait for warmer temperatures.
- When temperatures are above 30 degrees at night, you can attempt a second flush outside.
- Soak the grow block in a tub of water for 12 hours or place it outside during a rainy period.
- Place block in a shady place outside.
- Repeat the growing process, treating your block the exact same way you did the first time around. Refer to shiitake grow kit instructions here.
Oyster and Lion's Mane Mushroom Grow Kits:
- Continue misting your block multiple times a day. New growth will emerge in 7 - 10 days.
- Repeat the growing process, treating your block the exact same way you did the first time around. Refer to oyster mushroom grow kit instructions here and lion's mane grow kit instructions here.
New mushroom growth usually occurs around the edges of prior growth. If you are struggling to grow a second flush out of the same gash you initially cut, flip the grow block over and make a new gash in the bag.
Pioppino Mushroom Grow Kit:Continue misting your block multiple times a day. New growth will emerge in 7 - 10 days.
- Repeat the growing process, treating your block the exact same way you did the first time around.
- Refer to pioppino grow kit instructions here.
Pioppino mushroom grow blocks may grow green mold after their first flush. To avoid this, keep your grow block in an area with lots of air flow. If weather permits, grow your second flush of pioppino mushrooms outdoors on your deck to provide plenty of open air.
If you are attempting a third flush of mushrooms, repeat these steps after harvesting your second flush. Get to it!