lion's mane grow kit instructions
Lion's Mane Grow Kit Instructions
How to start
- DO NOT unwrap the bag. The block will dry out and you will have a reduced yield
- Slice a 6" gash on the side of the bag then face the block gashed side up. Wrap excess plastic tightly around the top of the block and tuck under. The mushrooms will grow out of this gash. You may need to expand it slightly once they start growing. There may be additional mushrooms starting to grow under the plastic. Let these die so the block fruits into one large cluster.
- Place block in a humid place and spritz with water 3-7 times a day. These mushrooms like a lot of water
- Mushrooms will begin to emerge in about 3-7 days
- Mushrooms will be ready to harvest in approximately 14 -21 days.
How to harvest
- Mushrooms are ready to harvest when you seen spines or hairs. These can grow long as an inch, but we recommend harvesting when the spines are 1/4 inch long. Use your hands to pull the entire clump off the grow block at one time.
- Let the block rest for 1-3 weeks. Do not unwrap the block during this time.
- Soak in water for 6 hours and then repeat the process
- Expect a total of 2 - 3 flushes, each flush being smaller. The first flush should yield 2+ pounds.
Storage and Preparation
- Mushrooms should be stored in a paper bag in the fridge so they can breathe. Do not store in plastic, glass, or ceramic. It is fine if the mushrooms start to dry and shrivel. Simply chop and cook and they will re-hydrate. Visit our recipe blog for serving ideas!
- Earthworms love the spent blocks. When you finish fruiting your block, it can go into your compost pile. You might get a bonus flush after a few days of rain in the spring!