Pioppino Grow Kit Instructions
How to start
- Open the top of the bag, as you would a bag of chips
- Set the block upright, leaving the extra plastic extending upwards
- Spritz with a water bottle 3-5 time/day
- If extra water collects in the bottom of the bag, poke a small hole to let it out
- Pins, aka baby mushrooms, will begin to emerge in about 2-5 days
- Mushrooms will be ready to harvest in 6-9 days. The warmer the space the faster the mushrooms will grow
How to Harvest
- Mushrooms are ready to harvest when you can see the gills. You may need to turn the block upside down to get a good look. use a paring knife to harvest mushrooms
- Let the block dry for 3 weeks
- Soak the block for 12 hours and then repeat the process
- Expect 2-3 flushes from one block, each flush being smaller. The first flush should yield 2+ pounds. The block tends to grow green mold during subsequent flushes, but doing the second flush outside, with lots of fresh air usually eliminates this
Storage and preparation
- Mushrooms should be stored in a paper bag in the fridge so they can breathe. Do not store in plastic, glass or ceramic. it is fine if the mushrooms start to dry out and shrivel. Simply chop and cook and they will rehydrate. Visit our recipe blog for serving ideas!
- Earthworms love the spent blocks. When you finish fruiting your block, it can go into your compost pile. You might get a bonus flush after a few days of rain in the spring!