Skip to content
Shiitake Grow Kit Instructions
How to start
- Once you see "pins", aka baby mushrooms, on the grow block like last image remove the whole block from the bag. Only remove the the block from the bag once you see the pins.
- Place the block on a tray or in a pan to catch any excess water
- Cover block loosely with a plastic bag
- Put in a humid place, such as the kitchen counter, and spritz with water 3-7 times a day. The drier the air, the more water they need.
- Mushrooms will begin to emerge in about 2-5 days.
- Mushrooms will be ready to harvest in 6-9 days. The warmer the space, the faster the mushrooms will grow.
How to Harvest
- Mushrooms are ready to harvest when you can see gills under the caps of each mushroom. You may need to turn the block upside down to get a good look. Use a paring knife to harvest mushrooms at the base of their stem.
- Let the block sit for 1 - 3 weeks
- Soak the block for 12 hours and then repeat the process.
- Expect 2-3 flushes from one block, each flush being smaller. The first flush should yield 2+ pounds. The shiitake blocks tend to grow green mold during subsequent flushes, but doing the second flush outside, with lots of fresh air, usually eliminates this.
Storage and Preparation
- Mushrooms should be stored in a paper bag in the fridge so they can breathe. Do not store in plastic, glass, or ceramic. It is fine if the mushrooms start to dry and shrivel. Simply chop and cook and they will re-hydrate. Visit our recipe blog for serving ideas!
- Earthworms love the spent blocks. When you finish fruiting your block, it can go into your compost pile. You might get a bonus flush after a few days of rain in the spring!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.