How to Store Mushrooms
How do I store mushrooms? Whether you harvest your own mushrooms, or purchase them from a grocery store or farmer's market, it is important to store them correctly to maximize their freshness.
- The best way to store mushrooms is in a paper bag or cloth storage bag.
- Leave the top of the bag open for best results, mushrooms need a lot of breathing room!
- No paper or cloth bag? No problem! Put a paper towel in the bottom of a container, place your mushrooms in, and keep the lid off.
- Always store fresh mushrooms in the refrigerator to extend freshness.
- Don't store your fresh mushrooms in a closed container.
- Never fully rinse or douse your fresh mushrooms. They are very porous, naturally absorbent and will make your food watery once cooked. Only spot clean your mushrooms with a damp cloth/paper towel if necessary.
Also, if you notice that your mushrooms start to dry up a bit, don't toss them. Cook them as usual, maybe in a sauce or soup, and they'll reabsorb moisture as you go. These tips apply to any mushrooms you buy at a grocery store too!
Check out our recipe blogs if you're ever unsure of what to cook with your 'shrooms!
Want to try growing your own mushrooms at home? Purchase one of our grow kits! No prior experience is necessary.