'Not your Mama's' Green Bean & Mushroom Casserole
Growing up, Farmer Elizabeth loved that traditional green bean casserole made with canned beans and canned cream of mushrooms soup. A few decades later, the recipe has been updated to a modern version with our own garden beans and organic, gourmet mushrooms. While the recipe includes carmelized onions, we don't mind if you still reach for the Durkee fried onions!
1# fresh or frozen green beans
8oz fresh mushrooms
2 large onions
1/2 c. chicken or veggie broth
1 shot glass of sherry
1 shot glass of heavy cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Chop onions and divide in half
- Fry half the onions in oil until browned and crispy. Set aside
- Add remaining onions, mushrooms, green beans, and broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- Add sherry, heavy cream, butter, salt & pepper. Cook 1 - 2 more minutes
- Garnish with fried onions