Verrill Farm's Mushroom Barley Soup
Our friends at Verrill Farm shared their delicious mushroom barley soup with us, and it's so good we had to post it.
Makes 1/2 Gallon
- 4 oz pearl barley
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onions
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- Cover barley in cold water, set aside. Heat butter and oil in large pot, add onions. Sauté until they start to brown, add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms 10-15 minutes until soft and liquid from them has reduced.
- Drain barley and add along with chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Skim off any foam that appears on top of soup.
- Add half of the chopped dill and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook until they are soft.
- Add remaining dill and lemon juice.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.