Grow Kit Tips and Tricks
Growing mushrooms is an extremely exciting and rewarding experience! To set you up for 'shroom success, here are Fat Moon Farm's best tips and tricks for growing mushrooms with our DIY Grow Kits.
1. Start Your Grow Kit Right Away
Start your grow kit as soon as your receive it, remember it is a living organism and will be eager to start growing.
If you cannot start your kit right away, remove your grow kit from its cardboard box and store the kit in the fridge for no longer than a week.
2. Cut the Bag Correctly
Once you receive your grow kit, you'll notice the mushroom grow block is surrounded by a plastic bag.
Each variety of mushroom requires a different approach with the plastic bag:
- Shiitake Grow Kits: Remove the plastic entirely and place the block on a plate or in a baking tray
- Oyster Grow Kits: Turn the block on its side and cut a 6-inch X on the side of the bag
- Lion's Mane Grow Kits: Cut a 6-inch X on the side of the bag or cut two parallel 6-inch gashes on the side of the bag
- Pioppino Grow Kits: Cut off the top of the bag completely
For Oyster, Lion's Mane, and Pioppino grow kits, do not remove the block from the plastic bag.
3. Remember: Humidity, Indirect Sunlight, and Room Temperature
Your grow kit will grow best with:
- Indirect Sunlight
- Room Temperature
We recommend a kitchen counter or bathroom. Both rooms give you access to water and plenty of humidity. Our customers have had the most success keeping their grow kits in these rooms.
4. Water, Water, Water
Watering your mushrooms is key- they love the moisture! Misting your grow kit multiple times daily is important. You can use the mister included in your grow kit!
Don't worry about overwatering! Farmer Elizabeth says that it's almost impossible to water your mushrooms too much.
Here's a bonus Humidity Hack for Shiitake Grow Kits:
- After removing the plastic bag that the Shiitake Grow Block comes in, humidity can easily escape from your grow block
- To trap humidity, wrap a generic plastic bag around your grow block
- You can even place four skewers in the top of your grow block to keep the bag elevated
- When it's time to mist your grow block, simply remove the plastic bag and put it back when you're done
5. Grow a Second Flush
Want to get more bang for your buck? Grow a second flush of mushrooms!
Check out this blog post to find out how to successfully grow a second flush of mushrooms.
You can do this with any of our grow kits!